Sunday, June 17, 2012

Let's get spiritual! WOOH!

I just wanted to share my favorite scripture today. I had this thought today during church, because of A) I was asked my favorite scripture in church today and B) I was bored the rest of church so this is what I was thinking about.

My favorite scripture is John 8:11-12(Really 12, but it makes more sense in context which 10 and 11 give) when reading the rest of the chapter I also realized in conjunction with 31 and 32 of the same chapter it's really cool and makes a lot more sense as to how I look at it.

John 8 is starts off with the adulteress being brought to Jesus in the temple and him saying things like, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." (Verse 7) In Verse 10 Jesus says "Woman, where are thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?" (11) She replies, " No man, Lord." and Jesus says unto her, "Neither do I condemn thee: Go, and sin no more."

Now we're at 12! yay! 12. Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: He that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Here's verses 31and 32
31: Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, if ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32: And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

The reason these things are cool to is that I interpret this as the light and truth as being the same thing; as being knowledge.
(You may or may not know this about me, but I yearn for understanding things. It's one of my drives in life. I want to know everything. I have constant racing thoughts because if I stop for a moment I'll lose a step I'll never get back.)
With that in mind, Christ is that pathway towards infinite knowledge. Towards understanding the things that truly mystify me, because in a way that I'll know everything I'll still be able to learn more. In my life the most amazing thing I've had when living the life that Christ has set out for me is the way my mind works so much more. Not only do I feel smarter, my brain gets all of the nonessential clutter out of my head so that I can figure out these things faster whilst finding a more correct version of the truth. Because Truths are amazing things. There is nothing more wonderful and fulfilling than learning an eternal Truth. Things that are true no matter what. These are the things that you can comfortably base your foundation on. The things that position your entire outlook on life.

Perceived Truths are dangerous though, because you can base a foundation on shaky material. Negative Truths do exist in a way, but these are the things that lead to unhappiness not only in yourself but whoever allows you into their world enough to drag them down with you. For me, these are the twisted mockeries that are only one or two steps away from the real Truths that can make you free. These are the Anti-Truths, the things that are so enticing, so close to real Truth that it's hard to make the decision on which is the Truth.

Truths are not just ideas, they are virtues made into realities. Something that is difficult to understand without living them. They are things like Faith and Love. For me, the president of our church Thomas S. Monson, is not and cannot be a Truth. He is a man that espouses Truths, yes, but I cannot base my reality on him for he is only a man. A man that strives to teach goodness, a man that knows and has realized many Truths and uses his knowledge in the best way he can. Realizing, understanding, and living these Truths do not make you perfect they only put you on the path towards that end. There is no end to knowledge, truth, or virtues. God knows all and yet he has more to learn. God does not live without temptation he has just put himself on the path and has enough knowledge of Truth to live without sin. I know for a fact that God wished he could send us all down here to live without temptation, but he loved us too much to not let us suffer heartache and pain.

He aches for us, every moment we might ache. He loves us unequivocally and beyond understanding. Not until we can begin to grasp the Truth and reality of eternity or infinity could we begin to understand his love. He has achieved eternity, but eternity as well as perfection is only a journey that will never end. God's knowledge grows day by day.

Maybe now you begin to understand why this scripture means so much to me; because Truth, Light, and Knowledge are things I understand to be infinite. These are things I crave in my heart, my mind, and my soul.  All I know is that the Light of the world is Truth and Jesus holds the keys that lead to that Truth. By following him I can have that Light and Truth. I will have all of the essential gear to begin my journey to the end of eternity where all Truths are one Truth.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I understand a little of God's love when I hurt for someone I love or feel their joy I know that is what God feels for me. I am glad you are always seeking to learn and gain knowledge. I appreciate the insight you offered. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete