Monday, June 25, 2012

If you didn't need money, what would you do?

Seriously? Do you know that? If you didn't need money, what would you do? Would you still work because you don't know what to do with the much free time? I think I would. Either that or I would perpetually be in school with a failing grade. Learning what I could learn without doing the homework because I could always pay to take more classes. I would do the homework if that's what was required to learn what I wanted to learn, of course. I would either start my own theater, or start a friend's theater and let her do all the leg work and just come in and play in it! :) (I'm awesome like that) There's a million things I would LOVE to do if I had all the money in the world. I should write about this things too, maybe later.

That wasn't the question though; well, more that wasn't all I meant with the question. If we lived in a truly communal(or...communistic) society, what would you do? You would still have to work, you just wouldn't get paid. Everything you need you would get. Everything you want? Maybe if you're lucky. Most likely, the luxuries would go to those willing to do the least popular jobs. Would a doctor or a lawyer get more luxuries than some other professions? Possibly, but I bet maids and/or janitors would get more.

If I could choose...I would run a theater, or be an actor, or, if those were unavailable to me. I honestly think I would teach. Preferably to teach the future actors or producers. (Though, I would also totally be okay with doing all the legwork of a producer. I think that would be an amazing career. And crazy hard. That's a sale's job I would be willing to do) If not then I would teach History. I really don't know if I would be a good teacher, I honestly have a lot to do to learn how to be an effective teacher. Currently, I have is passion. That doesn't always translate to 12-18 year olds. In fact, the older I get the less the passion may translate. Let's be honest, I never really connected with high school kids when I was in high school, how well will I do it when I'm 50?

But...that's ALL speculation. I just was thinking about this and how important it is to have a passion. Even if I don't really get to use my passion in a professional manner, I'll always have it to keep my spirits up. I've talked with people that don't have a passion at all in their lives. They're depressed. I've lived my life without passion, I was depressed. True, I still get anxiety from fear of living my passion VS. the desire to live it but it still gives me hope at the worst of times. I just know that if I didn't need money, I would still try to connect with people in a way that would give me an opportunity to improve both of our lives. That kind of connection is rare at times in our society. Fear is rampant causing anxiety, distrust, and overall negative will. No one tries to care for their neighbors as much anymore and it's sad. I don't care as much anymore. I think that's really sad. Some day soon, I'll be able to make those connections again. To remember how much they mean to not only myself, but to everyone who is apart of that connection. I think that's my passion, that's what I would try to do and try to make a part of my life, that's my passion... What would you do? It's not a challenge, a judgement, or anything of the sort. It's a question and I want to know the answer! So even if you don't answer here, find it for yourselves. It's good to know. It's always a pleasant thought. What would you do if you didn't need money?

4 comments:

  1. As much as we need money, I don't care for it. I never have. Andrew & I have discovered that neither of us can work for money. We can work to support Sierra, but that's it. We HAVE to chase our dreams or we don't even have enough energy to get up in the morning.
    And I know you know it.... But my passion is performing. It's what I think about ALL the time. Its what every scenario brings into my head. My life if put into a movie would truly be a musical with all the trappings, because that is how I honestly live it. :)
    You're a good man, and you do have the potential to teach.:D Though I like the idea of owning a theater ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I didn't need money, I don't think I would work with ties (but maybe I would, I do enjoy it). I'd probably spend the time I work volunteering with either horses or people who need help or both. (Therapy horses.)

    If I had lots of money, I'd want to hire people to help me run a therapy center for families and/or people who have PTSD. I would spend time there, but I couldn't do it all. I'd need other people to help.

    I do feel like I currently live many of my passions: outdoors, adventures, helping others, and learning. In that way, my life is very amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure I didn't choose my profession for the money (I had many other options that paid a lot more). That being said I think I would and always will find a way to work with children. I love how simple they can make things sound and all the funny things they say. I feel joy when I am working and playing with children of all ages. Even with school out I am still having my nieces and nephew over for Auntie Robyn Day Camp. I love it! Kids are my passion maybe because I still like to be one at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I didn't need money, I think I would still work. I really enjoy the problem solving aspect of my job and I think I would miss it if I quit completely. However, I think I'd work out something where I don't work Fridays anymore or something like that. I would travel a lot more and see a lot more places.

    I would also really love to volunteer in third world countries. I'd love to be involved in a project to build a school or build a church.

    ReplyDelete