Friday, July 6, 2012

Inspirational quote time!

It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing  enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't be insecure around you. We were born to make magnificent the glory of God that is within us. It's not in some of us, it is everyone. As we let our light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. - Nelson Mandela

Sometimes I need to remind myself of these things. Because yes, I am self conscious enough to think of these things. Yes, I am conceited enough to think that I can outshine everyone. Yes, I am crazy enough to think that only one person can shine. Yes, I am so unsure of myself that I feel I don't deserve to be that one to shine.

That's the thing though, while it's possible and probable that there is someone smarter, prettier, better, or more talented in whatever specific way that you're talented that doesn't diminish the good that you do in the world. It just gives everyone else a viewpoint to appreciate not only what you do, but what others in your field have done. (Just a bit of humbling, even if you are currently the best, you will not always be the best. There is always going to be someone striving to better you)

The thing about love, happiness, and whatever positive emotion you want to attach to it, is that it's not a survival of the fittest affair. It's not dog eat dog, nor Lassaiz Faire. Love as a commodity is one of only assumed supply and unlimited demand. When in reality it is an infinite supply rationed only by it's demand. Those of us that demand love decrease the supply for everyone else, when demanded you can never get as much as you desire so you take and take and take until none is left. In order for there to be enough of this light in the world you must freely give of it. The more you give the more you have to give. I mean have in both meanings of the word, first, the more you hold to give, and second, the more you feel the necessity to give.

Another thing about love, is that you cannot hide from what is offered. In attempting to do so, it is just lost. No one benefits. When hiding from the love that is offered to you, no one is standing behind you and gets hit from a sudden "love beam" when you duck out of the way. If you shirk from the love offered you it often recoils back towards the one who offered it, like a rubber band that's cut while being stretched, it's painful and leaves a scar that can be difficult to heal. It's not impossible to overcome, not even if you're one, such as I am, that obsesses over that backlash until the wound festers.

If you ever find yourself asking who you are to brilliant, gorgeous, talented, or fabulous, please just remind yourself. You're a child of God. Be yourself, let yourself shine. "Make magnificent the glory of God" that IS you. Never doubt the strength or courage of yourself for within you is God. You have all his strength, courage, love, hope, and joy to share. In sharing these things not only will those around you discover that in themselves you will discover the power to be joyful, to love, to be the person you've desired to be.

These are some of the things I'm learning and that I need to remind myself. This grand adventure won't ever end but these are the things I'll need to keep learning. If I forget them, you're free to remind me. If you forget them I'll make sure to remind you too. ^_^

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite quotes.
    I have a habit of shrinking so others won't feel insecure around me. This quote plays in my head at those moments, and it reminds me of all of the things I've learned about love, and fear, and shrinking and shining and just being.

    Thanks for the reminder again.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I recently heard a story of President Boyd K Packard memorizing the scientific name to animals & plants so that he could remember them for the world of his own one day. It just gives me pause to think of having such confidence & knowledge of ones own potential.

    ReplyDelete