Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sometimes I get asked questions..



So a friend of mine on facebook is doing some research(presumably for an assignment) and asked me some questions and here are my responses! First the Questions.
- Did you have performing arts experience growing up? If so, what did you do and when did you begin?
- Do you have a performing arts major (theatre, dance, music)? If not, do you plan on getting one? If so, in what?
- Could you list some of your experience?
- In your opinion, what top 3 things contribute to success in an individual pursuing performing arts? What do you consider to be success?



The closest thing to performing experience I had growing up was the primary programs in church. Though my mom did make me sing a solo in church once. I hated her for it.
I did start in 8th grade with my mom forcing me to take a drama class. Once again I hated it, but my friends that I made in that class did convince me to try out for the musical that year. I LOVED IT. So I did my first show my 8th grade year continued doing it my 9th grade year. Got into my first community show that summer.
 I do not have any schooling or education in theater, I want to teach it someday since I love it though so I want to get whatever it takes for a theater education degree.
Some of my biggest/favorite parts I've played are Adam in the Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged at UVU, Mr Mushnik in Little Shop of Horrors at the Scera, Fakir in Secret Garden at, Mr Pinky(and various other characters) in Hairspray, and Topper in Chrismas Carol all at the Hale Center Theater Orem. In total I've done 30 shows most of them being Chorus roles. I've also had some directing experiences at Lakeridge Junior High School and as a coach for their Shakespeare Team.


The 3 most important things in my success in theater are passion for the art and the joy it brings me. Honesty and the ability to bear my soul while performing; and finally, God given talent. Most things in theater can be learned but there are some things that you just need to be incredibly talented to do.


I consider success in theater in varying degrees. First degree, am I enjoying it? Is it worth my time? Second Degree, am I growing and progressing? Third, if you're talented enough are you getting paid for it? Can you live doing this?  Success is defined by what you want out of theater. For me, I LOVE it and I love the growth that theater puts me through and I'm making some money so that I can justify my time spent doing it fiscally as well as emotionally.

I just hadn't thought about these things like this before. This struck me as something awesome. For anyone that has read much of my blog you might understand how important theater is in my life. Here's the biggest thing about theater for me. I'm crazy, I have self hatred and the self doubt to rival anyone put on this earth, as such, having people PAY money to come see me do something I love and APPLAUD me for it. It's very good for me. It gives me a sense of confidence to out into the crazy world and try things that without that confidence I wouldn't ever do. Like talk to people. This blog serves much the same purpose, by letting my brain vomit out into the world to see that people either enjoy it, sympathize with me, or are feeling the same things it's comforting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment