Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I was a chaperone once.

Once upon a time a few weeks ago. I was a chaperone. Truth be told, I was not ready for it. I knew how to be a drama coach. That is something I can do. Am I the best at it? No, no where near. Do I know what I'm doing? No, not really. Can I do it anyways, and put together a scene or a monologue that at least makes sense? Most of the time. There are some things that I'm just not very good at yet, I'm okay with that. I plan to become better.

But all of that is besides the point, what I really want to talk about is that I was a chaperone. It's horrifying, completely and utterly horrifying. Just ask Mr. Lemen who's daughter I happened to be a chaperone for. I was the last one asleep and the first one awake. That included going to sleep at 2 am and getting up at 6. It was only for 3 days, but I was so tired I fell asleep at 11, in my car. Luckily I wasn't driving, I realized I was going to fall asleep. I lost a few kids a few times, none of them died. For some reason they got in trouble, I didn't... I learned and did room checks! WEIRD!

Yet somehow, I still had the most fun I've ever had at Shakespeare, I came away knowing more so that when I was a teacher my kids were coming. I don't care where I'm teaching, even if it's in New York, Florida, Washington, or even in Cedar City, we're coming! I helped a kid realized that she really DID love doing this stuff. Even though it's hard and intimidating. It's great to do! I had the time of my life, my kids did too!

PS. These kids were SO my kids. I loved everyone of them and it was such a great experience for me. We didn't win a thing, but they learned about what they like to do, they had a good experience and their good experience is what defined it for me.


3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good experience with your kids. I hope you have lots more experiences like that. It sounds like you really helped them to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad no one died, and you didn't die. And you had a great time. I'm way excited for when you become a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I bet they loved having you as a chaperone, too.

    ReplyDelete