Monday, March 18, 2013

An article on same sex marriage.

I ask you to read the article first, then feel free to read my response and then please discuss, ja?

I’m Gay and I Oppose Same-Sex Marriage | Public Discourse

Here's where I agree with this article.

1. It discusses something that is very important to me. Cheapening relationships by making them increasingly and predominately sexual things. I personally feel it's an attack on all forms of sexuality. By forever increasing the importance of sex it continually decreases all form of relationships making them more difficult. From me being friends with a girl, with a boy, father, brother, sister,mother, son or daughter. By continuously putting sex in the forefront it cheapens all aspects of life.

2. It increases the role of government in a family's everyday life. I don't like that. My personal belief is a smaller government is a better government.

3. I personally have always agreed with the last paragraph, the family of a father and mother is the most successful form of "social unit." That does not mean success cannot come from other forms of the family, just that statistically it's the most likely to be a successful family. (Y'know, happy, send children out into the world that can then become "productive citizens,"...and really I don't know what else to add for a successful family, how would you define that?)

4. He acknowledges that good and happy relationships can exist in all forms. I believe that very strongly. There love to be found and love to be had for all.

This is his story, and I love it. Not all stories will end this way, not all stories will end my way. I just hope that our adventures can all lead to a place of happiness. Don't make your happiness depend on others, use your happiness to bring joy to other's lives.

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with the points you pulled out of this. I especially agree with your point about over sexualizing every relationship. I don't really care what people do in their bedrooms, but why do we need to make sex the focus? I thought his point about how when homosexuality became the dominant part of men's lives, they lived hollow lives was very profound. I have seen heterosexual men that make sex the dominant part of their lives, their lives also seem very hollow to me.

    I also appreciated the point about government. I liked that he is in support of civil unions. I think government's role should be to honor a contract between two people. Civil unions perform that function perfectly. Personally, I think that government needs to get out of marriage completely. Let my marriage with my wife be merely a contract as far as the government is concerned, and the marriage part of it can be instituted by my church.

    Thanks for an interesting article. I enjoyed your thoughts. Sorry if my rambling was too long.

    ReplyDelete